Calculator plugin for everything search?

Plug-in and third party software discussion.
grebl

Calculator plugin for everything search?

Post by grebl »

One of the features I miss the most about Launchy is the ability to do quick calculations via the search window. Is there a plugin that might work for everything search? Do you think it would fit in the everything paradigm?
NotNull

Re: Calculator plugin for everything search?

Post by NotNull »

grebl wrote:One of the features I miss the most about Launchy is the ability to do quick calculations via the search window.
??? Launchy does have that possibility! Just enter 1+1 to see results. Or do you have that plugin (Calcy) disabled?

Don't know if there is a plugin for Everything for this (I'm not aware of any).
It makes less sense for a file-search utility to have a calculator integrated than for an application launcher/shell to have this on board, I guess ..
grebl

Post by grebl »

I gave up on Launchy. It works well for a bit and then once in a while consumes 100% of CPU resources and I could never figure out why. Then it crashes. Lots of people have tried to revive it-- it's a good tool but for search it's definitely not as polished, fast, and stable as Everything Search. I've tried about 5 different Launchy reboots and none have been stable enough over a long period of time. I made the switch a few months ago, and the only thing I miss is the fast calculator (which comes in very handy!).
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

grebl wrote:I gave up on Launchy.
Ah, now things make more sense :)
the only thing I miss is the fast calculator (which comes in very handy!).
I don't know if it fits in your workflow, but most browsers have also an integrated calculator. Just enter (for example) 1+1 in it's search bar.
(what I liked about Launchy, was that it puts the result on the clipboard. Handy!)
It works well for a bit and then once in a while consumes 100% of CPU resources and I could never figure out why. Then it crashes. Lots of people have tried to revive it-- it's a good tool but for search it's definitely not as polished, fast, and stable as Everything Search. I've tried about 5 different Launchy reboots and none have been stable enough over a long period of time.
I did some research for something I'm writing and tested (superficially) some application launchers, like Launchy. I liked Listary.
Listary uses the same (MFT) indexing technology as Everything does (including database). Search possibilities are somewhat limited when compared to Everything (then again: what program isn't?), but it is quite useful, just a totally different approch: Everything is centered around finding files and you can do "things" with those files; application lanchers are more like plug-ins for applications, that can find and "insert" the files/folders you need.
So far I haven't noticed any stability issues with Listary.
TL;DR: If you haven't tried Listary yet ...
EDIT: No calculator, though ..
ovg

Post by ovg »

What about windows calculator? It is possible to assign hot key to run it.
Use Textify (thanks to Stamimail for share) for copying results to Clipboard. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=378&p=21371&hilit=textify#p21371
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

@grebl: you could also try WoX.
They claim to be a replacement for Launchy ànd it uses Everything to index the files ànd has an integrated calculator!

Didn't test it (yet), so dont know how stable it will be.

EDIT: new website: http://www.wox.one/ (no https: ...)
grebl

Post by grebl »

Gosh thanks for all the great ideas. I'm going to check out Listary, and you're right.. maybe I can just figure out how to get my browser or the windows launcher to help me. Hate Cortana though (always just disable her). It's just so convenient to have everything do.. everything. I tried Wox and wasn't a fan-- a bit too slow and cumbersome compared to Everything and even Launchy (when it was working). Plus it didn't support my favored workflow which is directory-based searching (I don't let everything search anything else except folders, executables, shortcuts, and the occasional .cpl). This has been really helpful. I'll have to just be more creative about my calculators. Isn't Listary supposed to support extensions and plugins?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

grebl wrote:I tried Wox and wasn't a fan-- a bit too slow and cumbersome compared to Everything and even Launchy (when it was working).
Thanks! Saves me testing-time :)
Plus it didn't support my favored workflow which is directory-based searching (I don't let everything search anything else except folders, executables, shortcuts, and the occasional .cpl).
Another suggestion:
There are (minor) technical reasons to let Everything index 'everything' and use a filter (Menu: Search > Organize Filters) to get what you want.
You can make that filter the default (Menu: Tools > Options > Home: Filter = ...). I created a filter "NoNonsense" to exclude all the folders you (almost) never search for.
In your case, you could use QMENU2 as a starting point. Or ask on the forum :)
Enable Menu:View > Filters to keep track which filter is active (it's also on the status-bar)

But if you're happy with your current settings, there is no urgent reason to change things.
Isn't Listary supposed to support extensions and plugins?
No support for plugins in Listary ...